Saturday, February 4, 2017

Valentia Island, Ireland - A Poem










By Mary E. Lohan

We didn't plan
as usual...

We threw a bag
in the boot
and flew
a refurbished
gearbox in your
Corolla, straight
from Shannon
airport

I slept
on the journey
south, stops
in Killarney
galleries, pubs,
the ever changing
jewel of a sky
kept us
mesmerized
spry

yet, it was
Valentia island
I will forever
adore...

Our drive down
a picturesque
corkscrew road
your gearbox
grinding, the
car on a road
so pitched like
a roller coaster
car with no
guardrails,
we laughed
and squealed
downwards
toward the rocky
ocean swept
lighthouse
praising your
mechanic's
expertise --
Wow, were
we lucky!

It was a dream
that was real...

The drive upwards
the lush gardens
the radio tower
the astounding
mountains,
the odd candle
maker who
didn't speak

And the path
that lead
to the dinosaur
tracks?
Remember?

I was wearing high
heeled boots...

You invited me
to see,
to walk the steep
bumpy path
downwards,
your hand
outstretched
you lead, steadying
me as I pivoted
and rocked
and giggled..
you always
patient, always a
gentleman,

and while the
tracks were
unimpressive,
a laugh, it was
your
hand I will
remember
most of all...

steady,
reassuring,
ever present...
like your voice
guiding
me back up
the long
rocky path.

Note: About Valentia Island

No comments:

Post a Comment